Sunday, August 28, 2011

Greetings from beautiful "Not PAX East"

(Originally posted March 19, 2010)
I had the opportunity to go see PAX East in Boston next weekend (as a ticket-buying visitor, not as a guest or anything fancy). I was reluctant to take time off from work until I was sure that Kris Straub and/or Scott Kurtz would be in attendance. (I have no business with either of them, mind you. I would just be resuming my greatest role as "That Awkward Fan-Geek.") Back in January, when tickets were on sale, Straub's convention schedule said "maybe" for several months while Kurtz's schedule was suspiciously silent on the subject. Sometime after weekend passes sold out, both cartoonists announced that they would indeed be attending, leaving ticket-less me to sit at home and curse the darkness.

This entire incident is reminding me of what an immeasurable gap there is between myself and the established cartoonists; cartoonists who attend conventions as guests instead of having to buy tickets or climb in through a bathroom window. I have never been able to refer to myself as a "web cartoonist," even though, technically, I do have a website and a comic. But for me to try to put myself in the same box as the professionals... imagine that you are watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Now imagine that after the last float has passed, someone from the crowd darts out and starts chasing the parade. Also, imagine this person is wearing homemade float built from corrugated cardboard and glitter paint. This should give you some idea of where I stand.

I may sound discouraged, but I'm not. This is probably a very normal part of starting a website, or starting anything new for that matter. If there was a master checklist for success, it probably begin something like this:

Item One; Educate yourself.

Item Two; Develop your ideas.

Item Three; Chase the metaphorical parade for awhile.

You get the picture.

On an optimistic note, I should mention that I have put a good deal of work into these comics and a good deal of study into designing this website. Now that I am here I am NEVER GOING AWAY. To get rid of me at this point, you would probably need to get rid of the internet. And even then I would probably go around attaching these comics to telephone poles. Some of you comic readers may have been burned before by good comics that start strong, then disappear as the artists lose interest. I promise that I will not desert this project. Event if I run out of "Urban Underbrush" stories (maybe ten years from now) I'll probably have another story ready to take its place. Don't be afraid to get attached. You will not be abandoned.

If you like knowing that Lepus Studios will be here forever then you may thank me the next time we meet. I'll be the one cursing the darkness.

-Marj

"Nobody said it was easy. No one ever said it would be this hard." - Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment