Sunday, August 28, 2011

Good News, Bad News

(Originally posted April 2, 2010)

Good News: So, a few weeks ago, I wrote about how I missed my chance to visit PAX East in Boston. Well, cartoonists Scott Kurtz and Kris Straub were kind enough to send me an autograph:

scratch and jinx

Keep in mind that I have never met either of these artists before and I am 99.99% sure that they have never visited my website. Sooo...how did they know exactly which characters I would have asked for? Their powers of deduction are amazing and a little scary.

Also at PAX, my friends bumped into cartoonist Brad Guigar, who said (unless my friends are lying to me) that he remembers me from Pittsburgh Comicon 2009 and that he still treasures the fan art I made for him. Pretty high praise from someone who owns fan art by Lar deSouza.

And Now, the Bad News: So, I had been selected to do some guest art for Oliver Knorzer (aka Novil), author of the charming comic strip Sandra and Woo. I was to draw Woo's profile picture for a phony character blog/message board, which went live on April Fools day. Unfortunately, the tables were turned when some jerk used the message boards to post obscene images. All of the gag pages had to be pulled within a few hours, which pretty much wasted all of Mr. Knorzer's careful work, as well as my work and the work by the other guest artists. I was hoping that the event would give my site a little more traffic, but it was not to be.

But, all is not lost. My picture will be added to the "Artwork" section of their regular site. I'll post a link when my my work is up. In the meantime, don't rush the good folks at Sandra and Woo. I'm willing to bet that they are having a bad day.

-Marj

"WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" - Charlie Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment